Site Meter Good Things Women's Ministry: Session 2 - Personal Story, Betty Jean Part 4
Taken from Titus 2, here is the chance to learn from today's women about "good things",
covering topics from how to handle conflict to showing how to cut up a fresh chicken.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Session 2 - Personal Story, Betty Jean Part 4

"Tragedy struck on December 13, 1965 when our oldest daughter, 15 years and one month, was struck by a car on the interstate expressway and killed instantly. She was five blocks from home and with a few of her friends. Today's expressway is 10 lanes and raised quite a bit off of street level. However in those days it was a four lane highway, on the same level as the residential houses, and with a simple divider in the middle. The wire fence barrier to the expressway was down and she and about three others decided to cross over to the other side. They were only one block away from the overpass, but together waited fro the traffic to slow. She darted out first and I'm not sure if she was wearing her glasses at that time or not. A car swerved to miss her but hit her with the front bumper and threw her body into the other two lanes of traffic.

"I recall that the paper made quite a stink about the fence being down and how that if it had been maintained, the children would not have been out there.

"We were at the dinner table with my Mother when we got the call. We left immediately to the expressway.

"I felt God's presence there with me, felt Him holding me, and He said to my heart, 'I'll see you through this.' It was amazing how we all felt His loving comfort. I was so thankful for a Christian husband to share and be comforted with together. Our Christian Fellowship church family was wonderful.

The most comforting thing was finding the Bible Polly had won for attendance under her bed along with her school work. In the front she had written the date that she herself had accepted Jesus as her Savior. I then knew that Polly was with Him.

I wish I knew more about what actually happened out there on the expressway. It won't change anything, or bring her back.

Four years later we were surprised to learn I was pregnant again. I felt like God was just giving me another to replace Polly, not that it really could really replace her.

No comments:

Post a Comment