Site Meter Good Things Women's Ministry: Session 2 - Personal Story, Betty Jean Part 1
Taken from Titus 2, here is the chance to learn from today's women about "good things",
covering topics from how to handle conflict to showing how to cut up a fresh chicken.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Session 2 - Personal Story, Betty Jean Part 1

"Stacey asked me to talk about patience - our theme for today; so I'll try your patience - please endure what I have to say.

"I grew up in Coffeyfille, Ks. My parents were Roman Catholic and so was I. I attended eight years in Catholic school, then to public school. My Dad worked at Sinclair Refinery since before I was born. I had one sister, two years younger than me, and we had a happy childhood.

"When I was 13 my Mother began having some (at that time) strange symptons. After seeing many doctors and clinics, finally Mayo clinic in Minnesota told us it was Parkinson's Disease. She was in her 30's, which is rather unusual to have Parkinsons at this age.

"In just a few years, the tremors were so bad it was difficult for her to feed herself. Maybe it wasn't the best thing for us to do, but we usually fed her. Daddy was so patient with her. I remember when I was in high school, he would be working four to midnight (he always worked shift work). He would pick me up from school at noon, have a good lunch fixed for us, then I would help Mother in the evening. I had time for my friends and even boyfriends and social life and lots of fun times.

"I graduated from high school in 1947. Started to work as a telephone operator and started Junior College there in C'ville. In 1948, the Sinclair Refinery in Coffeyville closed and the employees were given the opportunity to transfer to another plant. East Town was the one Daddy chose. He came up here with four others and we stayed behind until he could find a home for us. Then Daddy called for us to come. It was up to me to drive, about 700 miles, with a seven or eight year old Pontiac up here. There was a time during the drive where several motorcyles crowded around the car for several miles, driving past, and cutting us off. I was frightened for Mother who was strapped into the front seat and my sister in back. We had all our possesions in the car with us. It was a stressful trip and I remember breaking down in tears when we drove up to the rooming house where Daddy was. Of course it took two days.

"I took care of our home and Mother. My sister had to finish high school. In April I asked Daddy if I could transfer my time to the East Town telephone office. This meant that he would have to assume more care for Mother. So I started to work.

"For many years my favorite past time was roller skating and my sister and I enjoyed that when Daddy would be home for the evening. One you man, Bob, took a fancy to my sister for a few dates and even fixed me up with a fellow employee of the Wonder-Bread bakery. One date was even on a cruise boat in the nearby city.

"In July, the Wonder-Bread company had their annual picnic and I was invited. My original date had to tend bar for a copule of hours, so Bob picked us up. Shortly after arriving, I was introduced to Edsel. He was tall, good looking, sweet and we spent the afternoon together. Somehow the other fellow got the message that I would rather be with Edsel.

"Edsel and I saw or talked to each other every day. After a few days, he called and said perhaps we shouldn't see each other because he would never be a Catholic. To which I replied, 'I would never leave my Church for any man'. But, the next day he called again and told me he cared a lot about me and he would never ask me to give up my faith. But that he would do what was necessary for us to be together.

No comments:

Post a Comment